Saturday, November 19, 2011

Hidden Animals Project

by Leslie Lu







     Hidden animals will increase endangered animals awareness with the placement of a metal rhinoceros at the stairway to the admin area.  Most endangered species are close to extinction due to human reasons such as loss of environment or hunting.  However people often overlook this issue.  The metal rhino will not only promote awareness, but also symbolize hope.  Similarly to Terry Allen’s “Trees” of UCSD’s Stuart art collection where three trees were incased in lead to represent the loss of environment, the metal animals will also illustrate loss and preservation as well.
This sculpture is lasting and will remain in our environment, similar to our wishes for the rhinoceros and other endangered animals in the world.  If one examines the rhino closely, they will see a map of the world on the back representing the world.  This will hopefully be the first of many placements of endangered animals through out the campus.

17 comments:

  1. I love the concept, spreading awareness about endangered species on campus is such a great idea. I think the placement of the rhino at the stairway looks awesome. - Kim Lam

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea on how you put the map of the world on back of Rhino, and I liked your concept. Terry Allen was also one of my favorite work from UCSD. -Naoko O

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great work! I love the 'watermark' of the world on the his back!
    -Toni W.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hidden animals, that's awesome! It would be a delight to walk up the treacherous stair seeing that piece of art! - Julie Ann San Juan

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the idea of hidden animals throughout the campus. I actually went with an endangered species theme too. I like your idea!- Emee A.

    ReplyDelete
  6. such a wonderful idea. I'm an animal lover myself and I'm sure that this is a great ideas to spread awareness about endanger animals in campus. This Rhino will make the campus more beautiful, and it will send a great message as well.
    GOOD JOB
    Binazir Asadi

    ReplyDelete
  7. Being an animal lover, I really liked your piece. Putting the animal by the foilage looks like he just walked out of the jungle. -Roxie P.

    ReplyDelete
  8. lol this is too great, fun and informative! -Corita Cazares

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like this mainly because it is unexpected. You have to pay close attention to see it and it look great. Patricia Eidelwein

    ReplyDelete
  10. I would love this. I climb those stairs a lot, and I hate that area, it definitely needs to be livened up.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love this idea. Human awareness of animal and plant destruction is definitely way too low. -Joe

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good idea too bad about the black rhinos recent demise. One thing though; that horn could do some serious damage to someone if they were sliding down that rail.... Ben H.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is a fun piece, it makes me feel as though i'm walking through a part of the zoo on campus. -Johnnie R.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is so neat and really fun. - Stephanie Huynh

    ReplyDelete
  15. I really like this idea, being an animal lover and enjoy art that blends in to the environment.-Tania Kelvin

    ReplyDelete
  16. i find this installation very relate able because my first few days not knowing my way around mesa felt like a jungle - John Martinez

    ReplyDelete