Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Cultural Art Statement by: Corita Cazares

 

    My proposal for the Public Art Piece is illustrated from a Chicano/a perspective.  The image that would be imposed onto the side of a building was created myself in an attempt to bring cultural awareness to all ethnicities. As a person who grew up with multiple ethnicities I have found it difficult in some instances to be socially active with individuals who view the “minority” race as an inferiority. In the image depicts a person with two ethnicities weighting the difference between what’s important- what you can’t see on the inside, or a persons’ outer character. I feel that I should be given the privilege of winning this competition because not only have I personally undergone elements of racial terrorism and the effects of being criticized for something you can’t visually see, but I’m certainly positive that others can relate to my misfortune. In an attempt to spread the word that racism manifests itself in several forms, it would illustrate a sense of hope that one day- maybe we can live our lives without having to be judged by our biological predispositions.  The image also represents that through hardship people can be resilient and focus on the things that are most important instead of enduring unnecessary troubles. This art piece would definitely make campus a better place because not only will it touch the hearts of the Chicano/a community, but it will also inspire other ethnic groups to engage in the arts to support a positive cause.
 
   The ideologies behind creating such an art piece was from reading and doing some research from the “Art of the 21 Century” website along with studying the Stuart Collection that is most popularly seen at UC San Diego. Art of the 21 Century is a non-profit organization that utilizes art over different mediums to illustrate positive educational values amongst its viewers. In an attempt to create something that I felt would be visually and mentally stimulating towards my peers I turned to some of the artists featured in the 21 Century site.  I was very intrigued by Mark Dion’s statement when he said, “The job of the artist… is to go against the grain of dominant culture, to challenge perception and convention.” These words were very inspiring for me because I wanted to portray an art piece that could do exactly that. When I have the opportunity to visit other campuses around San Diego, like UCSD, I take a great interest in all the artwork that is prevalent around every corner. I thoroughly enjoy the “Trees” collection that is mentioned in the Stuart Collection because I have gone to visit the trees before the its one of the art pieces within UCSD that I find myself going back to visit when I get the chance to. I want to be able to use the tools that I have been taught in the most positive ways in order to make others come back to visit my art as well.       -Corita Cazares

14 comments:

  1. Your art accurately depicts the message you're trying to get across. Good job. -Roxie P.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like the idea of your art, its such a powerful message & the image you created is really cool. Great job. - Kim Lam

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like how your image let's us see what we can't see on the inside.
    -Leslie L

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with other posts, I like your idea and your art work is great!! -Naoko O

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have a creative soul! It is sad that it is tortured. -Toni W.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the art piece of this. I think it would add a very interesting twist to the campus.- Emee A.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This design would definitely catch my eye every time I would pass by it's very eye catching. Patricia Eidelwein

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think this is an excellent choice given the building it's going on.

    ReplyDelete
  9. very nice blending and matching of color. -Joe

    ReplyDelete
  10. Amazing picture. It definitely would make people who are passing by it stop and think about it for a moment. Ben H.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great work! i like what it represents. -Johnnie R.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, really great piece of artwork that really showcases your talent! - Stephanie Huyh

    ReplyDelete
  13. This would look great, color wise, composition wise (wide), and is appropriately placed at the the art area of campus. -Tania Kelvin

    ReplyDelete